I’ve lived in Detroit my whole life; like any longtime resident, I’ve seen this city go through exciting highs and rough lows. Today, after rising from the ashes of bankruptcy, the city is enjoying a vibrant rebirth.
Whether you’re a Detroit lifer or a passionate transplant, you may be surprised to find that there are countless new things to discover about the city (and plenty of gems you probably didn’t even know existed). In our technology-infused culture, a handful of useful apps have popped up to help Detroiters and visitors interact with this city like never before.
Here are 10 of my favorite Detroit-centered apps that showcase everything the city has to offer and help citizens connect with the city they love.
Marketplace Homes s Civic apps
1. Improve Detroit: Keeping Detroit clean, safe, and functioning is a responsibility that falls on all of our shoulders. Improve Detroit allows you to report issues — like potholes or damaged street signs — directly to City Hall. You can also submit pictures of the issue and receive notifications when the problem is being addressed.
2. DPD Connect: Receive up-to-date information from the Detroit Police Department, including crime bulletins, statistics about the city, and information on wanted criminals. This is a great app for anyone on a neighborhood watch or for citizens who want to help keep Detroit safe.
3. Vote 4 Detroit: This app gives you updates on upcoming elections, information on candidates and locations of polling stations.
4. DetroitCity App: Stay in the know about what’s happening in Detroit with this convenient app. It offers a full directory of all businesses and services in your area, helps you find parking, guides you through the city’s public transportation system, provides news updates, and even suggests nightlife options. This app will quickly become the best friend of any Detroiter.
Marketplace Homes say add Activities apps
5. Go Detroit!: You’ll never have a boring night with this fun app on your phone. Go Detroit! is an excellent resource for discovering events, attractions, and dining options throughout the metro area.
6. ARTOWN Detroit: This app offers a helpful guide to all the amazing public art installations scattered throughout the city. It provides a whole new way to enjoy our beautiful and creative city.
7. Landmarked Detroit: This educational app maps out 20 major landmarks throughout the city, and when it detects that you’re standing in front of a landmark, it unlocks fun facts about what you’re looking at.
8. Detroit Zoo: This app gives you updated information on which animals are on display and what special events are occurring. It also provides an interactive map of the zoo to guide you when you visit.
Marketplace Homes say add Specialty apps
9. Detroit Lions: Do you bleed blue and silver? You’ll get breaking news, real-time statistics, on-demand videos, game previews and post-game blog posts.
10. Upto: A great calendar-sharing app that was built in Detroit. It allows you to follow calendars based on your likes and interests; it also syncs with calendars on your iPhone or Android device. A company can also get a calendar created for its organization.
Written by; Mike Kalis
President, Marketplace Homes