iing If you’re interested in the best ideas for designing your own home with a new build, you’ve come to the right place. Buying a new construction home from an industry-leading builder is a completely different experience compared to purchasing an existing property. This requires the expertise of real estate agents who are familiar with new constructions.
Since Marketplace Homes specializes in new constructions and builder contracts, you’ll be in good hands.
Instead of moving into an established property, you create a new one from a floor plan. This means that everything that comes with your home is brand new and can be tailored to your needs.
Once you have a budget and location established, you can embark on the exciting process of designing your own home. What does it look like, and what are some of the best ideas you can implement to create a dream home?
How to Design Your Own Home?
New construction contracts involve more paperwork compared to existing homes. This is because everything from the floor plan to the timeline must be fully fleshed out. In addition, the new home’s structure, materials, and overall construction must be to code. If this sounds daunting, rest assured that your real estate agent will guide you through this process and make sure you understand all the paperwork before signing.
Though every builder company may use slightly different methods to communicate with their clients, you can be sure that there will be several consultations. In these meetings, you should discuss the various floor plans that the builder offers. You can also discuss more in-depth details, such as flooring materials, types of windows, and other upgrades you wish to include in your new home.
Tip: You get more control of these elements when the home is in an earlier stage of development. If it’s already partially completed or near completion, you can still choose non-structural options like hardware, countertop materials, backsplash tile designs, lighting, and final paint colors.
Before you meet with your builder, it’s a good idea to jot down your ideas on paper. Or, you can use home planning apps like magicplan, which enable you to create floor plans and experiment with different paint colors. This is your time to flesh out everything you have ever imagined about your dream home.
Best Ideas For Designing Your Own Home
Sometimes it’s hard to figure out precisely what you want in a home, but you can narrow down your wishes by examining these key criteria:
- How many levels do you want? Do you want a basement? Is a two-story home ideal, or do you want to keep it to one-level living? Factors to consider are mobility, sound levels, and convenience. Do you have any young toddlers or elderly in your household? Then stairs may be a concern. Or, do you have teens who need more space for socializing? If so, a basement, extra room, or finished attic will be an attractive addition.
- How many rooms do you need? Having enough space in the house for everyone to have their desired level of privacy is ideal. Also, consider how everyone spends their free time. Do you need any bonus areas like a study, den, home office, game room, or guest room? Then be sure to add them to the plan!
- What’s the local climate? If you plan to build in a hot or cold climate, you should consider investing in high-quality insulation like spray foam with high R-values. Low-e glass windows and insulating siding are also crucial to building an energy-efficient home.
- Open vs. closed floor plan? Most modern trends lean toward open floor plans where the kitchen, dining room, and living room mesh into one grand space. It makes a smaller home look bigger and can be a great advantage to anyone who wants to save on a smaller home without feeling like they lack space. Closed floor plans are also charming and offer several benefits, including extra privacy and more places to tuck away odds and ends from the central area of the home.
- What kind of flooring and paint? Is your dream home low-maintenance with luxury vinyl flooring or does it have the classic beauty of natural hardwood floors? How about stone flooring for the patio or custom tiles? Your floors tie elements of your home together while expressing your personality. Enjoy the selection to the fullest!
Tip: Got a wild flooring or paint idea, but you don’t want it in the whole house? Guest bathrooms are great places to let your imagination run wild. Hot pink tiles, black wall paint, gold backsplashes, and other fun accents are often found in smaller spaces like these.
- Finishing touches: After all the big details are in the books, it’s time to select the minor details like hardware, faucets, lighting, outlet covers, and any other unfinished details like crown molding, chair molding, trim, etc. These accents express the essence of your style, allowing you to turn a basic floor plan into a beautiful modern home or a rustic farmhouse chic space.
As you can see, designing your own home is a lengthy process that you must complete with the help of a home building company and real estate agent. Collaborating with professionals to get their expert opinions on functionality, value, and local building codes is essential. Your builder and real estate agent will stay on top of all the small details so you can enjoy the process of collaborating with their builder and designing the home of your dreams.
Contact us at Marketplace Homes to learn about our new construction programs and how we can make the new build process convenient and easy. We’ll ensure you don’t have to move twice when building a new construction home so you save time and money on moving day.
Local Broker Information: https://www.
Alicia Persson is a real estate content/SEO writer at Marketplace Homes. She has several years of experience working in real estate teams that specialized in investments and property management. Before she joined Marketplace, she was a freelance writer for 7 years, leading to a specialization in real estate and home living content for boutique digital marketing agencies. During her writing years, she learned the basics of SEO and gained experience writing for many different clients, making her highly versatile at creating diverse content.
She is a proud University of Virginia master’s graduate and enjoyed her undergraduate years at the University of Mary Washington. When Alicia is not writing, she plays keytar and sings in a local 90’s rock cover band, or she spends time with her amazing family.